Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"Well Done.......

Yesterday was a beautiful day, and I was SO happy-it was 32 degrees outside, I spent the morning/early afternoon at office, and was able to stop at store to pick up a few things before heading home to relax for the evening.

While I was at store I thought I recognized someone I know, but within seconds the realization hit me: that was completely impossible. That person had gone home to be with the Lord some time ago.

This has been happening quite often-the losses catch up with me. For a second, shock comes over me-as if I were hearing the death announced for the first time, then an overwhelming sense of sadness, and perhaps a few tears. I don't know-maybe I'm just slow at dealing with things like death.

I'm reminded that life is short. Today might be my last day as a vessel of God's love, of His Truth, to this lost & dying world. If not mine, somebody else's-that's for SURE. And I've been asking myself things like "would you be satisfied with how you have lived if today is your last day?" and "Of the things that happen today, what is going to matter in eternity?"

Those are tough questions. But asking them has helped me to choose my battles. Are the little annoyances going to matter in eternity? oh, they aren't?...but my reaction to them might? Then I won't let them get to me. When I am before the judgement seat, will He be more pleased if I have stood in judgement of others, or if I have gently come alongside them to point them to Truth? Is what he/she thought or said about me going to have any impact at all on God's (Omniscient, by the way) point of view? No. Then I won't be bothered by them.

There is a way of life that is clearly better. I'm trying to live it, so that when my time is up, I might hear the words "Well done." from the only few people whose opinions are valuable to me.